Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Research Continues...

I wanted to share some of the responses I have gained about the position from people not directly related to the development of the piece. In addition I have added some images that I drew from in the beginning of the project. I have decided to look back at these images after not viewing them for about 6 weeks. Initially I saw them in only one perspective, but now it has become easier to see the imagery in multiple ways after assuming these positions throughout the choreographic process.

Sample of Public Responses:

1. "Animalistic (is that a word?) Ask a little kid to act like a dog, cat, bear, lion, etc... they're immediately on all fours. It's the closest way most people (dancers excluded) can emulate animals. And on a side note, being on all fours makes me hyper-aware of my core/center.... not wanting my gut to hang down like a cow. :) I do not feel sexy on all fours, but maybe thats not the case for other people." (woman)

2. "I think in many ways it's a vulnerable position. It's also very primitive and powerful at the same time!" (woman)

3. "Ditto, and because the powerful and vulnerable can exist simultaneously, also very mysterious and sexy." (man)

Sample of Performer Responses (all women):

1. "on all fours: submission."
2. "grounded, unwinding from tension, balance, steady"
3."submission, dominance, strength, hierarchy, relaxation, solid base"

For me personally, this position is still teetering between pain and pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment